“Cooking” & Storage Tips
Happily, in terms of “cooking” our dogs, it is almost impossible to go wrong. Technically, you will just be re-heating them, since they are already cooked meats and safe to eat without heating at all. Making them the perfect BBQ dish!
The key to getting them just right is gentle, thorough heating. A high level of tumescence (in the sausages) indicates they are ready…
The times for each method will depend on the size of the sausage - the greater the girth, the longer they will take to heat through.
- Grill: medium/ high for 3-6 mins each side.
- Griddle / Frying Pan : with lightly oiled surface for 8-12 minutes, flipping the dogs regularly.
- Oven: Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Place dawgs on a baking sheet for 10-15 mins.
- BBQ: Moderate heat and turn frequently - approx. 8-10 minutes in total. You will be a BBQ hero - trust us! (o:
- Wiener Roast! On the open flame of a campfire or fire-pit (or your gas hob! :o) Use long-handled tongs, or a skewer to hold the hot dog 10cm or so, above the top of the flames. Slowly rotate while cooking until the skin is charred and crisp and the interior is cooked through. It should take between 3 and 6 minutes.
- In Water: Add sausages to simmering (not furiously boiling) water, for 5-8 minutes.
- Microwave: If you are in a big hurry, just wrap 1 or 2 sausages (tightly) in a kitchen towel (being sure fold the ends of the paper so they are held in place under the sausages) then microwave on medium power for 60-90 seconds.
You can defrost frozen hot dogs by placing them in very gently simmering water for approx. 10-15 minutes.
Or you can put them in the microwave on low power for 5-8 minutes.
You can then eat directly, but we highly recommend crisping up the natural casings, with a quick flash sizzle in a hot skillet for 1 minute on each side. (o:
You might just win a prize…
Enjoy and remember - it's good to be BAHD! (o:
STORING OUR SAUSAGES
Our products must be stored in your freezer or fridge, as soon as they arrive.
They are shipped frozen, in specialist insulated packaging. Upon delivery, they will be partially thawed, but still cool to the touch*
If you put them straight in the freezer they should be used within 12 months of delivery.
They should be used within 7-14 days of delivery / defrosting, if kept in the fridge.
If you don't want to eat an entire packet, you can separate some and store the remainder in an air-tight food bag, plastic container or well-wrapped cling-film, in the freezer or fridge.
*If they are not cool to the touch, pls contact us immediately and confirm what time the box was opened and, if at all possible, let us know the actual internal temperature of the smallest sausages. N.B. the safe zone is -18 to +8 deg celsius. Any temperature above this means you should not consume them.